Skip to main content

Insights about Certified Kubernetes Administrator(CKA)

Attending certification exams is one of the way to test our skills and to check whether we are moving in right direction towards understanding technology properly. I have taken CKA exam in December 2018 and passed it with 92%. Overall it was very good experience, it's not that tough if you are already working on kubernetes clusters. Major advantage of taking up CKA is we will be able to cover almost all kubernetes concepts, core components and features etc during preparation. Normally in day to day work, we do not get opportunity to cover everything.

Experiences:
As a first step, I have read CKA experiences in Internet, it certainly gave me an idea how to prepare and how exam pattern looks like. Sharing some of the links.

https://linuxacademy.com/community/posts/show/topic/25094-cka-exam-experience-and-some-useful-tips
https://suraj.pro/post/journey-to-cka/
https://suraj.io/post/road-to-cka/
https://medium.com/@walidshaari/kubernetes-certified-administrator-cka-43a25ca4c61c
https://medium.com/@pmvk/tips-to-crack-certified-kubernetes-administrator-cka-exam-c949c7a9bea1
https://medium.com/@KevinHoffman/taking-the-certified-kubernetes-administrator-exam-eeab17d65476
https://medium.com/@tuannvm/how-i-took-the-certified-kubernetes-administrator-cka-exam-5b1b9a6ed85c
https://medium.com/@ikaboubi/my-feedback-about-cka-and-ckad-e82a35585fe9

Preparation and Resources:

When I was preparing, I followed the curriculum strictly. I have taken one concept at a time, referred https://kubernetes.io/docs for knowledge source, practiced and solved tasks here https://kubernetes.io/docs/tasks. The following links neatly documented resources for each kubernetes components.

https://github.com/walidshaari/Kubernetes-Certified-Administrator
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10NltoF_6y3mBwUzQ4bcQLQfCE1BWSgUDcJXy-Qp2JEU/edit#gid=0

To understand functionality of each component and to know how these components are wired up, kelseyhightower's kubernetes the hard way ( https://github.com/kelseyhightower/kubernetes-the-hard-way ) helped me a lot, ensure you practice this number of times. For overlay networking, this link certainly helps https://msazure.top/flannel-networking-demystify

To understand exam pattern, this mock test helps ( https://github.com/arush-sal/cka-practice-environment ). For any queries, join slack community( https://kubernauts.slack.com )

Tips:
  • Make sure you have read important tips, candidate handbook thoroughly before attending exam. Ensure internet speed is good, workplace is isolated and quite, have at least one ID proofs(two preferred) for safety to verify names with the one provided in linux foundation
  • Exam is three hours long, proctoring and a terminal difficult to handle, it mentally drains energy. So try to take exam in morning hours. Practice curriculum two or three times, to get to used to it. Speed while solving problems is very important.
  • For multi tasking, use "tmux" to save time
  • Don’t spend too much time on writing yamls, try to create via command line (Example: kubectl run, kubectl create –dry-run -o yaml), or copy from existing yaml and do sed operations to replace words
  • Kubectl explain” is savior to understand kubernetes api primitives, writing yamls so get used to it, or use kubernetes.io search option effectively, using key words.
  • Be familiar with systemd operations and operating system basics. 
  • Each question carries different weightage, so don’t stick to one question, just note it down in notepad(provided in exam),move on and revisit.
  • Blogging some of the kubenetes tips and tricks here

Comments

  1. It was really very difficult to think of CKA Exam until I found for preparation. After I read this short study guide I got a very deep understanding of all the topics. I was very confidently about my attempt and I am thankful for this to DumpsResources.com. I don’t think there is any study material which is so expertly written as CKA Dumps. It is the most valid and authentic study material I ever found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have appeared in many IT certification exams but did not find any material like CKA Dumps 2022. It is the most reliable and concise exam material which gives a full understanding of the syllabus topics. Once I went through the dumps material I got a full view of the field and was able to solve all the questions in the final.

    https://www.realexamcollection.com/Linux Foundation/CKA-dumps.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be impossible for me to manage time with my strict routine but I aced my CKA Dumps 2022 under the supervision of field experts. I simply bought CKA dumps and started my preparation without any delay. I present my gratitude to RealExamCollection for all this help.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Automation scripts for Admins to run on Jenkins Script Console

Jenkins script console is one of the key feature for administrators to automate tasks, troubleshoot on server side like cleaning up older job builds, deleting/creating bunch of jobs, setting up log rotation on all jobs etc. It's hard and monotonous for them to do this tasks from UI repeatedly. The following scripts certainly helps to maintain and operate Jenkins efficiently.

Kubernetes Tips and Tricks (WIP)

Sharing some of the tips and tricks, that will be helpful while operating on kubernetes clusters. * If you are working on multiple kubernetes clusters running with different versions, its hard to remember apiVersion for kubernetes objects.This can be sorted out by using following commands   kubectl api-resources : This will show kubernetes objects, their short names, kind and whether they can be namespaced. Here we can get apiGroup of the object we are looking for. If apiGroup is empty, it means object belongs to core api group(v1)     We can look for versions available for given api group by using kubectl api-versions command    kubectl api-versions   admissionregistration.k8s.io/v1beta1   apiextensions.k8s.io/v1beta1   apiregistration.k8s.io/v1   apiregistration.k8s.io/v1beta1   apps/v1   apps/v1beta1   apps/v1beta2   extensions/v1beta1      Order of kubernetes feature...